Saturday, September 20, 2014

TV Guide

So this new job is the most redundant and mind numbing thing I have ever done. The company is a TV statistics company pretty much.

Simply put, my job is to compare 3 different TV guides and make sure the title, episode, date and time are correct. The guides are in different formats. And we check each day 3 times - a day in advance, a day in review and then another check by a different team member. Each team member is given 30 - 50 channels/clients to review daily. Then you do the third check for someone else's channels.

What this job does is feeds ACCURATE information about what was on to different TV stations so they can overlay data like viewers, cost, advertising with our statistics and see how they coordinate. We work for both national companies and local stations. I am always so pleased to see something like "Logan, Utah" on my list or "Chubbuck, ID." It increases my interest in the job 1000-fold for the briefest moment.

I did NOT know this job existed. I thought they just got viewer stats from somewhere like we get stats from blogs and they figured the rest out on their own. But I guess that's not accurate enough for the billion dollar industry that is television. Heh.

I'm not melting down over my work hours yet. I'm melting down over how little they are paying. I have interviewed all my fellow staff members. I'm getting $12 per hour as a temp. The company hires entry level at $15. So I may get an instant raise if I can handle continuing after the contract is over. They are also very generous about paid time off/vacation/national holidays and the insurance is pretty epic. It would definitely pay for lapband. It covers acupuncture and chiropractic. If it doesn't, I will be shocked.

But I don't have to worry about that decision until the contract ends in another 2 months and 3 weeks.

Still working for Dr. G. Still struggling with team-wide communication. But ultimately, we've ironed out another $10,000 in the last month or so. Some of that is my work. Some of that is my office manager's work. Some of that is insurance payment that finally came through. Unfortunately, Dr. G just signed another loan because her build out is going to cost an additional $150k. So she's feeling the financial pinch and taking it out on the rest of the staff. I'm billing for work already done. My contribution to expanding the practice is trying not to piss anyone off. heh.

The Chevy dealership is golden. I am finding out a little bit more about things like management style here. The sales team is ruled with an iron, fear-motivated fist. However, the admin team is absolutely amazing, calm, but motivated, very Matter-of-fact.

Health-wise, things are going better. My ankle is healing. I'm 90% walking like normal. The EKG is $250 for the appetite suppressant meds and then they'll give me a 22% "full payment courtesy." Can't say discount in healthcare.

We'll see what this next week brings. More updates then.

2 comments:

  1. Ah....with this reading.....I now understand why you looked calm and dreamy in the recent Chevrolet selfie.....the dazed imagining of what you could do to occupy your time. Out come the shiny pens and doodle pads....and she sells her artsy renderings on Ebay. Job four.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the Chevy dealership would be the most mind numbing job. What are you allowed to do between phone calls? Can you play on the computer?

    Just know that two people in Preston are watching Bluebloods on Friday night. The new season starts next Friday. I really liked your selfie. Could you e-mail it to me. Glad your ankle if feeling better.

    ReplyDelete