Friday, November 22, 2013

Stranger than thou.

I walked out of the train station, down the front steps. It was all normal, rowdy kids shouting at each other, that sunken looking dude that's always begging for change, a police officer on the corner. I caught the eye of a strange white guy I've never seen before. And believe me, the white people are the minority. You notice someone new. He said hello. I said hi back.

"hope you have a good night!"
"Thanks!" I hefted my bag higher, grabbed my keys and kept walking.

The kitty lady from earlier this week had already filled the food bowls for the strays. The orange one I like so much was sniffing around the fence near the sidewalk. The mind wanders..

Tiffany & Co.... on the way to dinner.
Katya and the delicious mac. 

....Katya and I had the best mac and cheese tonight at S'mac. I'm sure glad I met her. See the doc's office isn't that bad. We're going to have a salon day this December. I ran into this dude peddling a salon package on my way to dinner. $400 worth of services at the 5th ave aveda salon for $69. I told him I couldn't afford it. Then he sweetened the deal. Two packages for $69. It's Christmas after all. It would make a great gift. . I paid for the certificates (mom, don't worry. It's a real thing). And he walked with me from 52nd and 5th down to 34th just sorta chatting along the way.

I walked from the Columbus circle area all the way down to 12th and 1st ave (that's like... 3.2 miles). Man... I can't wait to get home and kick these shoes off. My dogs are barkin'.

At that point in the mind wanderings, the man from the subway passed me. His phone in one hand. A glowing cigarette in the other, "Hang on a sec. Hey, I wanted to tell you back there, I really like your shoes."

"Thanks, New Balance is the best. I haven't seen you around before. Are you new to the neighborhood?"

"I've been here 2 years. My name is Nathaniel. So you really like them? The shoes?"

"Yeah, I've been through about 7 pairs of new balance."

"They wear out quickly?"

"No. I just mean... brand loyalty, you know? I really like them."

"Do they get hot? Do they keep your feet from getting hot and sweaty?"

"Yes. I mean. They've got mesh outers, so it stays pretty fresh in there."

"Any chance I could see your feet sometime?"

"Oh, wow. Ummm... No. That would make me uncomfortable. But thanks! Hey man, It's nice to meet you. I'll see you around."

And with that. I am 100% sure my day was weirder than yours.

2 comments:

  1. nan! you simply must keep your blog up. it is making my days brighter and i look forward to your posts! all the love in the world to you, cristalle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cristalle! My ability to think in a full sentence is starting to come back - ish. Just had to step away from single line life updates.

      You bet I'll keep updating. I'm quite enjoying it! :)

      Delete