Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Times, they are a changin': job, health, location and a lipid panel.

So much has been going on these past few weeks. I'm really not able to talk about a lot of it in an online forum. But the next twelve months will be full of changes with my job, health, location and basically everything.

First, the job... we are working with a consultant to help save the business. I'm being kept as the office manager, but the title is the only thing staying the same. If we succeed in saving the business, I will need to adapt to all of the new systems, hours and quit my freelance work (conflict of interest). If the business fails, which is all dependent on the doctor's willingness to accept change and listen - characteristics in which he is incredibly weak... if the business fails, I may need to seek employment elsewhere.

Second, the health... I'm finally insured and am seeking the way to make lapband happen. Turns out I need year's worth of medical documentation at weight loss attempts, a letter of recommendation from my primary care physician and to be able to pay my deductible up front (roughly $4000). So there was a night of tears, realizing it wasn't going to be as easy or seamless as I thought. Okay... so that means I'm getting my ducks in a row and preparing that paperwork. I have picked a primary care physician that I'm visiting tomorrow. The mister may also be able to connect me with a dietician in his family and maybe I can save my $30 copay.

Third, the location... There are whispers on the winds about relocation. Again, a hefty consideration with all the change at work. I'm hesitant to commit and say that it is happening because life is incredibly variable right now. Meanwhile the freelance work, which I can do from anywhere... that they want me to quit if I take doc's new hours... Is the only sort of financial security that I would have if I relocated.

That's what's been happening lately. There have been lovely things in between... snow, tea, salads, chinatown, company christmas dinner...   But figuring out those three items has been weighing on my thoughts for now.

The Wisdom House company dinner - a night of peruvian cuisine at the Natural Gourmet Institute. 

Today I went to the MIC Women's Health Clinic to renew my birth control. Because I now have active insurance (as of Dec 1) and am no longer a NY state benefit recipient... they were going to charge me $250 for the visit as opposed to the $30 copay that I was expecting. Only slightly disappointed, because I'm going to the Primary Care Physician tomorrow and I'm sure I can get it there too... But what I did get were my medical records. And can I just say... my lipid panel was awesome.

Cholesterol: 153 -       ref: 120 -200
HDL: 48        ref: >40.
LDL: 90        ref: 100 - 130. LOW
Chol/HDL ratio: 3.19 (less than 1/2 the average risk).
Triglycerides: 77       ref: 30 -175

So here's to knowing that whatever all these life changes bring, I won't be having a heart attack over them. Woohoo for clean arteries!
My street this morning... just a little snow to remind us it's December.

Our dapper kitty keeping me company. 
Snow on Bowery St. - My first trip to ChinaTown. The Dumplings are great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment