Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Just another Tuesday in Bushwick

My normal work schedule has me in Manhattan Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. It's a cush gig. Work 4 days a week to afford my needs and a little extra to pay off whatever my last irresponsible purchase was. On top of that Wednesday - Friday are only half days. It's great. I get a full weekend and a random Tuesday off in the middle of the week.

Today was nothing special. Laundry. Cooking. Cleaning up the house. Prepping a donation bag (AKA: I didn't have enough hangers for the stuff I washed today). 

The boy came out tonight. We watched Freedom Writers (it's part of his juvenile justice course) and made dinner. I'm learning to whip up a mean toasted wrap (goat cheese, grilled chicken, spinach, tomato and guacamole). 

My major accomplishment today was taking the train into the city on my day off - my metro card is unlimited, take advantage of it!  I walked through 6 stores and didn't buy one thing. Not one thing. Nothing more to add to the collection of odds and ends. (please feel free to break into song... "look at this stuff, isn't it neat? wouldn't you say my collection's complete?" *bonus points if sung in a swimming pool*). 

I'm trying to make the transition from the boy's neighborhood back to my own. I understand why I thought he was snooty. It IS different. I mean, my neighborhood doesn't make me uncomfortable at all. But there are a lot more people yelling at each other... some very obvious crack houses...   and his neighborhood is a bunch of tall buildings, immediate stores and shops on the ground level of every block and everyone is walking a dog or a baby. 

I would still consider my neighborhood more friendly. Everyone says "Hello" in passing. If anything they are usually too affectionate. "mmmm... girl! Walk this way." Right. I'm sure that will work one day and then you will fall in love and live happily ever after. 

In this neighborhood, it's important not to keep eye contact for too long or you wind up showing that you're interested which... if like me, you are prone to staring off into space on the subway, instead of closing your eyes or playing on your phone... can lead to awkward and amusing situations. Let me just tell you... I drive the 40+ year old latin men wild. Now, this is a gross generalization, but it seems that in most cases, they just happen to be eye level while sitting on the subway.

I got the stare down by an older latin man just today... With his straw resort style hat, cream colored suit and dark, but-not-so-dark-you-can't-see-him-make-eye-contact-and-raise-his-eyebrows, sunglasses. I spent 16 awkward minutes trying to look anywhere but in his direction. I did the quick visual scan of the train from left to right a couple of times to see if he was still staring...   nnnnngggghhhh...   Being the object of Creep-o-vision has a distinct feel - similar to being backed into a corner... or the uncomfortable mind-odor of knowing that you are sunburning (red heads out there, you feel me?), except this time it's sunburning a hole through you. 

Sex in the city got it wrong. That's not what dating out here is like... at all. Maybe it's a plus-sized thing? Maybe a difference of salaries thing? Maybe it's a Bushwick thing...  But I'm just saying, in my personal experience, there has been little to NO similarity. 

Also, wearing heels while in the city... stupidest idea ever. If you're ever here, just know it's normal to see a business skirt suit paired with sneakers on the street. Don't be ashamed and don't let TV tell you different. 

Love, 
Nanette

No comments:

Post a Comment