Thursday, November 7, 2013

Best show on Netflix...


If you haven't watched Derek on Netflix... you need to. I was expecting it to be an irreverent comedy starring Ricky Gervais. It's not at all. Within 7 episodes, I cried 3 times. It is SO unlike everything on the TV these days.

It doesn't glorify sexiness, or social climbing or anything like that. The message is the importance of being nice. Kindness is the cool thing here. Being an innocent and good person is what's valued in this show. I think it definitely contrasts with so much of TV today... Weeds, Dexter, Breaking Bad... these shows are deliciously gritty. They have protagonists that are so human. You both love and hate them. 

Derek is not like this at all. It is endearing. It is uncomfortable. It is sweet and small town. It reminded me of grandma in the nursing home. It reminded me of singing for school or church, when we went around to the different living facilities. Derek is disarming. It doesn't allow you to be cynical or jaded. Because it's a show about goodness... how do you hate that? 

I just can't recommend watching it enough. 




Latest in the Life in the Times of Nanette... 

- Spent the afternoon talking about imaginary concepts with my freelance boss. I have got to get away from faux medicine. I just don't think that placing lucite cubes with markings on them will change life that drastically. 

- Outreach project at work is beginning to take off in a most delightful way. We may see this business turn around here in the next quarter. 

- Walked the length of midtown and nearly the width of Manhattan today (just a couple avenues short). And didn't buy a thing. Gotta save for the big move. 

- Also managed to not eat everything in sight. Been seeing the weight respond. 

Summary: Success. 

2 comments:

  1. So fun to hear your updates. I am glad you are back to blogging! Where is your next big move?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next big move... I may (75% sure) move to Portland come May/June/July. I haven't picked a date yet... and it won't happen if not enough money is saved. But hey, if it doesn't... I'm still in NYC. And that's not shabby. Just expensive. Sheeeesh.

    ReplyDelete