Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Editing...

Most of you know I'm working on another blog, the ISU blog. I'm about going crazy because I have to go through an editing process. I'm quite positive that I would be writing more if I didn't have to. It makes it very difficult to be the "cynical student" when I'm told I can't say certain things or that the blog needs to be "fun." Sometimes it's not fun being a student and I think to say otherwise is a downright lie.

Then there's this blog... where I feel like I have to edit to prevent worry or obsession or offending or being misquoted or being plagiarized by music peers and family. Man, Nanette, life sure is tough. I've been thinking of creating a completely anonymous blog... hmmm or a JOURNAL. I just get tired of feel like I have to create something semi-artificial in order to avoid making waves. Is leaving out information still being honest? I'm in a transitional place and I just don't feel like it being watched... but I understand it's important to document, at the very least for myself. 

Now, before you freak out (mom). I'm happy. I'm enjoying my two jobs. One allows me to watch netflix. One allows me to be creative... to an extent. It's been very challenging to do my work and then detach and hand it over for editing - movies and blogs alike. I keep telling myself that nothing is perfect. The only thing constant is change. If I want to be an "artist", take constructive criticism. I remind myself that my job is to create, it's the editor's job to edit. So don't worry about self-editing (as it severely impedes ability to let go) and let the editor do their job. 

This summer has been revolutionary as it's the first summer I didn't have to unwind and teach myself to relax. I've been so good at enjoying doing nothing that the current struggle is getting myself in motion. Writing, singing, drawing...   I get to return to those things now. I'm taking a summer reading break. Last summer's 36 books were plenty enough for a little while. Though it makes me feel guilty that I'm known as "the reader" and this far into the summer, I've only read facebook status updates and the first 10 pages of a David Sedaris book.

loves, Nanette

1 comment:

  1. i live in the same boat, lady! isnt it the worst? some things are better left unsaid, but i know i would love to write freely and not be analyzed or judged...

    ReplyDelete